Grade 1 Inspector: National Sector Team: Utilities, Waste and Engineering
The National Sector Team, Senior Inspector GI manages a national sector team to ensure
they contribute effectively and efficiently to the Authority’s Programme of Work (PoW) and
delivery of the Authority’s strategic priorities in their priority sector(s).
● Provides leadership on and strategic management of workplace health and safety in the
specific sector(s) by identifying and developing key issues and spearheading national
initiatives where appropriate and building team capacity and capability.
● Researches and prepares information to feed into framing the Strategy and PoW.
● Manages a team of Inspectors, ensuring the effective delivery of the PoW, covering policy,
inspection and enforcement activities.
● Ensures continuous improvement of work processes by evaluating enforcement and
policy activity, reviewing targets and results and assessing the added value of the various
● Participates in the Management Group and contributes to the implementation of
strategic, organisational, financial and operational goals and objectives.
● Ensures team members are complying with the relevant processes and procedures
identified in the inspectors manual, operational minutes, protocols and memorandums of
● Acts as the primary interface between relevant external stakeholders and the Authority
in relation to the specific sector(s).
● Maintains the integrity of the data on the relevant platform(s), ensuring its quality and its
timely completion by self and direct reports.
● Manages the safety, health and welfare of staff and oversees compliance with the
responsibilities as set out in the Authority’s Safety Statement.
● Implements change initiatives, promoting a culture which encourages innovation and
supporting team members through the change process.
In addition to demonstrating they possess the required competencies as set out in
appendix 1, the ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate:
- Primary degree (NFQ level 8 or equivalent) in engineering, science or other appropriate
- Five years relevant work experience
- Possession of a full driving licence (Category B)
The following requirements are desirable:
- Experience of the utilities, waste or engineering sectors in an industry or regulatory
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiating and influencing skills and an
- ability to build effective relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of EU and national legislation and guidance
- Have a record of achievement in their career to date, demonstrating significant
- management skills including the ability to provide effective leadership and direction.